On Sunday, August 29th at 2:00 p.m., Northampton Historic Preservation Society will present another in its series of “Lectures on the Lawn” – but this program will be a “Lecture at the Church” featuring Hungars Episcopal Church in Bridgetown. It is one of the few colonial churches still in active service on the Eastern Shore, but old as it is, it is only the third and latest building to bear the name and serve Hungars Parish. If its walls could talk, they would tell wonderful stories of its early days, when it was one of the largest brick churches in the new world, graced with a pipe organ in the time when Handel and Bach were current and popular.
Crimson velvet vestments and a sterling communion service attested to the congregation’s prosperity, aspirations – and presumably their desire to bring their best to the worship of God. But such grandeur could not last. The Revolutionary War, the arrival of other religious groups, the ravages of time, and many other forces have made this building’s continued quiet and lovely presence today seem quite miraculous.
The program will be presented by three members of NHPS with a special interest in early Hungars history. The public is invited to attend the “Lecture at the Church”. There is no charge to attend, but donations toward the current NHPS restoration of Northampton’s Historic 1907 Jail for use as a museum will be welcome. The address for Hungars Episcopal Church is 10107 Bayside Road, Machipongo.