This message is from Mayor Smitty Dize:
I’m super excited to let everyone know that on January 26th, Council held its final strategic retreat for Fy 18/19. The goal of these retreat meetings where to set council priorities to direct staff. Over the course of two days, your elected officials set 6 priorities.
1. Preventive Maintenance on all public owned properties. This includes but not limited too the following:
a) create a preventive maintenance plan for all town equipment and properties (from lawnmowers to the beach, harbor docks, fishing piers, wastewater treatment plant, etc…) this will take time to do, but will save taxpayers money in the long run. (Vice Mayor Bennett and Councilman Grossman to be Council liaison to professional staff)
2. Personnel – create a plan for retention, training, safety and pay. (Councilwoman Burge and Councilman Bannon to be Council liaison to professional staff)
3. Capital improvement plan – to develop a 20 year capital improvement plan that is updated yearly. This will help us and future councils plan for spending needs. (Vice Mayor Bennett and Councilman Grossman to be Council liaison to professional staff)
4. Public Service- developed a plan ensure we meet today’s and tomorrow’s public service standards, police, fire, medic, public works and utilities and customer service.
5. Economic Development – create a plan for current and future economic development needs. ( Councilwoman Halloway and Councilman Bucholtz to be Councils liaison to professional staff) it should be noted that both of these elected officials had already being doing this for quite sometime with Main Street.
6. Ordinance and Codes – it’s time to start looking at, updating, removing, and or adding new Ordinance and Codes that apply to our town today, tomorrow or next year. (Councilwoman Burge and Councilman Grossman are Councils liaison to professional staff)
It’s a lot of work to be done and it’s going to take time! I can assure you that our professional staff is up to the challenges!