The Southern Gateway Welcome Center is opened on June 1st, and is now greeting travelers.
Welcome Center Hours of Operation, Phase I – Thursday-Sunday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Monday-Wednesday
Staff safety and the safety of the traveling public will remain of the most utmost importance and is a pivotal part of the plan. With that in mind, the Welcome Center Reopening Plan will focus on safety, functionality, and giving the best customer service to the Virginia visitors in these new and uncertain times. Basic provisions and protocols for the WC are as follows:
1) Sneeze Guards to create a barrier between staff and visitors.
2) Restrict the number of visitors allowed to ensure social distancing guidelines and compliance with gathering restrictions.
3) Signage at the entrance reminding visitors of social distancing and capacity restrictions. Only 2 visitors allowed at a time, 1 per family.
4) Staff/Volunteers will be provided masks, gloves and sanitizer. During Phase I masks are mandatory and gloves mandatory during cleaning.
5) Staff will conduct frequent hand washing and sanitizing.
6) Staff will complete the guest registry book on behalf of the guest.
7) Travel guides and maps will be behind the counters and provided to visitors (prepackaged with Travel Guides and local info).
8) All high touch areas sanitized at least every hour (depending on visitation).
Following is the first of a three-phase plan to reopen the facility to the public. Phases will adjust as Governor Northam adjusts restrictions. Daily evaluations and assessments by staff and management will be necessary as this continues to be a fluid situation.
Phase I 1) Welcome Center will be open to the public Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Staff will arrive at 8:30 to prepare and at 4pm staff will conduct cleaning.
2) All employees and volunteers are encouraged to temperature check before reporting to work.
3) Staff will clean common and high touched areas throughout the day, counters and sneeze guards wiped down hourly. Gloves required during cleaning.
4) No outside vendors or Partners allowed inside the Welcome Center lobby.
5) Anyone entering will be required to wear a mask.
6) Temporary tables will be placed at the doorway to restrict access to the center. This will create a “service” area for assisting visitors.
7) Sneeze guards and 6’ distance markers will be in place.