At next Thursday’s Town Council Planning Retreat, the possibility of using a management company to operate the harbor will be discussed.
Vice-Mayor Steve Bennett has been advocating for a management company to either lease or manage the harbor. One company, Oasis Management group has met with Council twice since January 31, 2017. V
Another possible group that may be interested in managing the harbor as well. According to Mayor Dize, “the main reason for even entertaining the outsourcing of the harbor is the fund has been underperforming for quite some time. It is however now covering operational cost but not the debt service.”
1. Out of the one company we have heard from, Marketing and networking to bring boats in.
2. Staff sourcing and training
3. Possible steady revenue stream to the town (depending on the agreement)
1. The possibility of one company having a monopoly on the Harbor
2. The possibility of losing part of our heritage (watermen)
3. Still having to cover the Debt service.
4. Still having to put capitol dollars in the harbor with minimal return
5. The possibility of town employees losing their jobs
6. Changing town code to reflect these changes.
The recommendation from Town Staff is for Council to make a motion to either direct the Mayor to develop an RFP for a Harbor Management Group or make a motion not to pursue a Harbor Management Group.