The following letter is by Charles Brewer. In it, he accurately describes why many democrats are fleeing the party.
Dear Democratic Party,
You have abandoned me, and millions of others like me. The things I thought we mutually valued, like freedom of speech, human rights, and individual liberty, you have thrown out the window.
For us to be friends again, this is what you have to do:
- End all covid restrictions. Now. No masks, no mandates. Normal life. Your “measures” have completely failed, and they have been horribly destructive. It has been a historically enormous mistake. Admit it, say you are sorry, and move on.
- Stop lying to me. And by “you”, I mean also your joined-at-the-hip siblings in the press and in big tech. Don’t lie to me to try to manipulate me. Don’t lie to me to make you and your leaders look better. Just tell the truth.
- Stop trying to silence, censor, and cancel everyone who disagrees with you. It is gross. It is authoritarian. It is completely contrary to the bedrock values of this country and of liberal democracy itself. No one on the right side of history has ever done this.
- Stop trying to divide us by race, gender, and identity categories. Stop looking for white supremacists under every bush. It is totally counter-productive. It is not bringing people together, it is pushing them apart and making them hate each other.
- Support the police and justice system. Enforce basic laws about robbery, burglary, crapping on the street, assault, etc. Good grief. Do I really need to tell you this?
- Stop telling me what to think, what to say, and what to do. Show some respect for individuals. Stick to things that government really needs to do, and do them well. Other than that, just leave me alone.
I could go on. Please work on this, and hopefully we can have a productive relationship again someday.