WASHINGTON, DC: Today, Congresswoman Jen Kiggans (VA-02) issued the following statement after voting in favor of H.R. 5691, the No Funds for Iranian Terrorism Act, which re-freezes the $6 billion that were unfrozen by the Biden Administration as a part of August’s hostage exchange deal.
“Since the Biden Administration released $6 billion to the Iranian regime, we have seen an explosion of terrorist attacks against the United States and our allies,” said Congresswoman Kiggans. “Hamas’ horrific October 7th slaughtering of Israeli citizens – as well as the more than 65 attacks against our Armed Forces by Iranian proxies that have occurred since – are concrete evidence that the Biden Administration’s appeasement has done nothing but embolden our enemies. As a former servicemember, I will not allow the coddling of those who wish harm and destruction upon our great nation.
“Our world grows more dangerous every day; it’s critical that our allies respect us and our enemies fear us,” said Congresswoman Kiggans. “There is only one language that oppressive regimes speak: strength. We must do everything in our power to restrict Iran’s cash flow and prevent their funding of global terrorism.”
In August of 2023, the Biden Administration reached a deal with Iran to free five imprisoned Americans in exchange for several Iranian prisoners and the release of $6 billion of frozen Iranian funds. Iran – the world’s largest state sponsor of terror – annually provides around $100 million to Palestinian terrorist groups, including Hamas. Less than two months after the Biden Administration’s deal, Hamas carried out a brutal and unprovoked attack on Israel, which claimed the lives of 1,200 Israelis. Following the attack, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi openly praised Hamas, saying “you really made the Islamic Ummah happy with this innovative and victorious operation.”
Since October 17, U.S. forces in the Middle East have been attacked more than 66 times, mostly by Iranian proxies. Two Norfolk, Virginia-based carrier strike groups – the U.S.S. Eisenhower and U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford – are currently deployed to the Middle East. Last week, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin announced that the Ford strike group’s deployment will be extended for the foreseeable future in an effort to deter further attacks.