Broadwater Academy is hiring.
Position Description: International House Parent – Apply Here
Broadwater Academy’s International House is an intimate college-preparatory boarding high school program. Our supportive academic and student-life program helps students embrace their unique identity, purpose, and voice so that they can contribute to any situation and find their place in the world. Dorm parents are the foundation of the student life. We endeavor to provide a rich experience in residential life, recreation, adventure learning, personal growth, and independent-living programming. Dorm parents are tasked with cultivating a positive, supportive, and home-like culture in the dorm. Dorm parents are part parent, part mentor, part counselor, and part teacher. Their role includes proactively helping students develop practical life, social, and community-living skills, providing critical study support during study hall, ensuring a safe and well-kept living environment, and leading on and off-campus extracurricular activities. Dorm parents have a private accommodations, within a three-story residence between five and twelve students in single or double-occupancy rooms.
- Serve your highest purpose as parent, or “in loco parentis” for all students in your dorm, supporting theirsupervision, personal growth, character development, safety, and education
- Supervise and manage a dormitory with five to twelve students during weekday afternoons and eveningswith some weekend shifts
- Plan and lead evening and weekend activities
- Supervise and support the students in your dorm and work with all BA international students
- Work with the director of student life and international program director to plan and implement the residentialcurriculum and programming
- Serve as an advisor.
- Support other school activities through planning, participation and supervision
- Provide oversight and extra help to students during evening study halls
- Work every other weekend while school is in session
- Work with relief and substitute dorm parents to provide adequate activities and planning
- Actively engage and connect with students and the school community as much as possible
- Inform program director and school administration of any student absences
- Other duties as assigned
* This position is flexible based on experience and interest.*
Maintenance staff perform various functions in ensuring building environments are kept clean and safe.
- The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities are listed below:
- Keep to cleaning and disinfection schedules that are set-up by the maintenance supervisor of the school, i.e., all COVID-19 procedures, cleaning of windows, mopping floors, dusting, and sweeping
- Must be able to perform general grounds / outdoor maintenance.
- Prescribe appropriate cleaning materials and products needed for disinfecting and sanitizing the entire building according to the organization’s standards,
- Put up signs to signal wet floors during cleaning or to show any other form of safety situation in the surroundings,
- Re-stock materials like toilet paper and hand towels in the wash rooms
- Carry out extra disinfection and cleaning duties as instructed by supervisors
- Make sure assigned cleaning tasks are executed in a timely and orderly manner
- Work as part of a team to execute cleaning duties and to make sure that standards of neatness/cleanliness are maintained
- Make reports to supervisor concerning repairs that have to be made which have been noticed while carrying out daily duties
- Inform supervisor of any identified hazardous materials
- Always make proper cleaning logs and records that show areas of the building that have been cleaned.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Empty trash bins on a regular basis
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Typical requirements and qualifications you may need to perform your maintenance duties include the following:
- Must be able to always put up a cheerful and positive attitude
- Must be willing to help to faculty, staff and students of the school whenever it is needed
- Must show commitment to the overall goals or objectives of the school
- Must possess good communication skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills to be able to get along effortlessly with fellow faculty, staff and students of the school
- Must be proactive when it comes to carrying out his/her duties
- Must be honest and truthful as he/she will have access to people’s belongings
- Must be courteous always
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision
- Must be self-motivated and diligent
- Must be able to work for several hours standing
- Must be familiar or have good knowledge of cleaning techniques and procedures
- Previous working experience as a custodian/janitor will be a plus
Who We Are
Broadwater Academy is a private, independent PreK-3 through Grade 12 college preparatory school located in Exmore, Virginia. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce.