Powered by 1,300 grassroots supporters, Hernandez outraises his opponent 5 to 1
NORFOLK, VA — Today, the Phil for Virginia campaign reported that in April and May alone, Phil Hernandez raised over $49,000 from more than 1,300 supporters, a record for this reporting period in HD 100. The average donation during this period was $34. Phil continues to receive more donations from Virginians than his opponent — and his people-powered campaign stands in clear contrast to his opponent’s heavy reliance on corporate donors.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Between April 1 and May 30, Phil for Virginia raised $49,178, with $69,229 total cash on hand.
- Phil had 1,339 individual grassroots donors. His opponent had 37 total donors.
- Phil’s average contribution during this reporting period: $34.49.
- Phil was among the top 10 Democratic Red to Blue candidates reporting the most raised and most cash on hand.
- Phil’s Virginia donors outnumbered his opponents total donors 4 to 1.
- People vs. Corporations: While Phil’s campaign is powered by small dollar donations from working people, 8 of his opponent’s top 10 donors were corporations.
The 100th district includes Virginia’s Eastern Shore and northern neighborhoods of City of Norfolk. The district has trended blue in recent years, choosing the Democratic candidate in the each of the most recent Congressional, Senatorial (federal and state), Presidential, and Gubernatorial elections. Phil is the official Democratic nominee, running unopposed in the June 11 primary.