Northampton Historic Preservation Society Lecture by Dr. David Scott Sunday, October 10 at 2:00 pm
Please join us for the next NHPS Lecture on the Lawn at the site of Arlington House and the Custis Tombs. Arlington House was a late 17th Century brick mansion built by John Custis II in 1670. In 1696, the property was inherited by his grandson, John Custis IV, who lived there until sometime after his marriage. He then moved to Williamsburg but, when he died, he wished to be buried at Arlington. His son, Daniel Parke Custis, married Martha Dandridge who, following Daniel’s death, married George Washington. All that remains of the house today is the brick foundation and the tombs of John Custis II and John Custis IV.
The site was saved from development by the Arlington Foundation and is now owned by the Archaeological Conservancy, who will preserve and manage it for the future. NHPS is partnered with the Archaeological Conservancy for the interpretation and promotion of the site.
This will be an outdoor lecture at the site by Dr. David Scott who will present the history of the Arlington mansion, the Custis tombs, and the Custis family. There will also be a presentation on the Archaeological Conservancy and their plans for the site.
Please refer to https://www.northamptonhistoricpreservationsociety.com for more information about NHPS and for any rescheduling of the event due to weather.
Advance tickets are not required but a donation ($10 per person) is suggested. All donations will go toward the NHPS restoration of the 1907 Jail in Eastville.
Directions to the program: The Arlington house and Custis Tomb site is off Route 13 about three miles south of the Cape Charles light. Follow the “Custis Tomb” sign off the highway onto Arlington Road (Rt. 644). Continue straight onto Custis Tomb Road (still Rt. 644) where Arlington Road makes a left turn. The site is about two miles on the right. NHPS “red arrow” signs will be in place to direct you.