The Northampton Historic Preservation Society will present a Lecture on the Lawn at Cugley. Cugley is located on the north side of the peninsula called “Savage’s Neck. The property’s history extends back to Thomas Savage, the first permanent settler on the Eastern Shore, his widow, and her second husband Daniel Cugley. It is estimated that “Cugley” was built by Thomas Lyttleton Savage sometime in the 1790’s. This house was once part of a large plantation with numerous outbuildings.
The cemetery headstones include names from the Eyre, Parker, Wilson, Savage, and Stringer families. No fees are charged but we ask that individuals consider a $10 donation to support NHPS preservation and education efforts.
Be sure to bring your lawn chair and dress comfortably.
Sunday, November 12 – Please Note Schedule Change – 2 pm to 3 pm
Turn west on Willow Oak Road at the traffic light/Shore Stop in Eastville. Turn left/south on Court House Road and proceed 5/10 mile. Turn right on Savage Neck Road and proceed 1.7 miles. The dirt lane to Cugley is on the right with a small sign marked “Cugley”. Proceed to the end of the lane and park in the yard.
Inclement weather announcements are provided at the NHPS website: www.northamptonhistoricpreservationsociety.com