NASSAWADOX, VA. – Six Riverside hospitals have been named a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission, an accrediting body for health care organizations across America.
Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital in Nassawadox was named for the second year in a row.
“Safety and quality are the leading principles in our Riverside Care Difference which guides our work every day,” said John Peterman, Administrator and Vice President of Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital. “It takes teamwork and a focus on the patient in addition to highly reliable processes. Our processes are ‘evidence-based’, meaning that we use decades-worth of data to prove what processes and treatments are most effective. By consistently employing those processes throughout our health system, we have been able to achieve Top Performer status at all of our hospitals.”
Three Riverside hospitals have been named Top Performers for the third year in a row: Riverside Walter Reed Hospital in Gloucester, Riverside Behavioral Health Center in Hampton and Riverside Tappahannock Hospital.
Riverside Doctors’ Hospital Williamsburg earned the designation this year for the first time.
Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News has earned the designation for the fifth year in a row. The Joint Commission created the award in 2011 to recognize consistent use of evidence-based care processes. The Joint Commission evaluates performance on quality indicators for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care and more.
In all, 1,043 U.S. facilities have been recognized as Top Performers this year. To earn the award, hospitals must provide treatment that meets all the standards 95 percent of the time overall, as well as on each individual care measure. An example of a care measure would be giving stroke patients medicine to prevent blood clots.
This year’s Top Performer recognition – based on data from 2014 – highlights performance by Riverside facilities in the following measure categories:
· Riverside Regional Medical Center: heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke, perinatal care
· Riverside Walter Reed Hospital: heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, venous thromboembolism and stroke
· Riverside Tappahannock Hospital: heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, venous thromboembolism,
· Riverside Behavioral Health Center: inpatient psychiatric services
· Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital: heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care and stroke
· Riverside Doctors’ Hospital Williamsburg: surgical care, venous thromboembolism, stroke
In addition to being included in The Joint Commission’s “America’s Hospitals: Improving Quality and Safety” annual report, RRMC, RTH, RWRH, RSMH, RDHW and RBHC will be recognized on The Joint Commission’s Quality Check website.