Sen. Bernie Sanders has been on the road promoting a series of new policy plans. In the last few weeks, he has detailed how he would reorder or referee almost every part of American life.
Here’s a partial snapshot of his policy:
- Energy choices: His Green New Deal would spend $16 trillion to force you to stop using the energy mostly used today — oil, gas and nuclear. He promises cleaner power and air in return.
- House and car: The Sanders government would pay to weatherize homes and small businesses, and to upgrade gas-powered cars for electric ones. He would mandate the end of conventional gas car manufacturing in a decade.
- Health insurance: He would eliminate private insurance and put you on a government plan more generous than Medicare. No more copays, deductibles or premiums, too.
- Your current student debt: He would eliminate it for everyone.
- Your kids’ college: Everyone gets free tuition at public universities, community colleges, trade schools, and apprenticeship programs, too.
- Teachers: He will hire more teachers, pay them more, and fund better school supplies.
- Your job: He promises full employment.
- Your wage: He would guarantee you at least $15 per hour.
- Your rich friends: They’ll be paying for much of this with a huge tax increase.
- Your own taxes: Grab your wallet. The total cost of just the programs listed above are $20 trillion-plus at the lowest possible end over a decade, excluding Medicare for All, which experts say could at least double the total.